Monday, June 27, 2011

Mommy and Me Week 1

As I mentioned in my last post, I am starting up my "Mommy and Me" weeks again. I'm excited to get them up and running. I was having a hard time getting them going because I didn't feel like I had a good structure for them. I had a lot of great ideas, but how do I incorporate that into our day? That was the problem I was running in to. I came up with a tentative schedule. We will have singing time/nursery rhymes time for about 10 minutes. Then it is learning time where we focus on the topic of the week, or letter, or number, or color, or shape. That depends on the day, and will probably last about 10 - 15 minutes on a good day. Then we will have a craft/activity. This will probably take about 5 - 10 minutes depending on what it is. After that it is about time for a snack and we are done. Initially I was thinking of doing an hours worth, but who am I kidding...I have a 2 year old!!! For the day we focus on a shape I am going to have a sound bag. This bag will have items that start with the letter of that day. I love flashcards, so we will continue to use those for everything. And for the nursery rhymes I have made up pictures for Karter to look at and learn as I recite it every day. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know! I'm open to anything.



This week topic is Cows. I found a cute you tube video of cows mooing. Karter enjoyed watching that a couple of times. I printed an outline of a cow and cute out black spots. I let him glue the spots onto the cow. We crawled around the house making cow noises also.

The Nursery Rhyme this week is Hey Diddle Diddle. I printed out a picture of a cat and a fiddle, a cow jumping over a moon, a dog, and a dish with a spoon. I have gone through this nursery rhyme a lot and will continue to every day.

The song this week is Old MacDonald Had a Farm. We just did a cow this morning.

Tomorrow we will focus on the number 1.

Wednesday is all about squares. I have made a square puppet that I will use to talk about squares and we will make one together for him. We will look for the shape everywhere we go.

Thursday is all about the letter "A". I will use the sound bag of items.

Each day I will have a coloring page to go along with the "item" for the day. Friday is all about reviewing. I know it seems like kindof a lot for a 2 year old, but I want to make sure we are talking about numbers, letters, and shapes frequently. Each day we add something new, we will still talk about the previous days items.

No comments: