Wednesday, November 7, 2012

72 hour kits

A few weeks ago I got our 72 hr kits put together and in their bags. Since then I haven't been 100% comfortable with the food items that I put inside. I know that it is in case of an emergency, and just having food item in them is perfect. I guess I haven't been sure about the food because I don't think Karter will eat what I had in there. So, I decided to change the food that I put in. Initially I had MRE's which are fantastic. I was afraid Karter, being a bit picky with his food, would not eat them until he was STARVING. I didn't want it to get that far with him. I wanted us to have food that I knew would be eaten regardless the situation we will be in. So, I bring you our new and improved 72 hours kits. I am much more comfortable with the items in them now. In 6 months we will go through them again, check expiration dates, and add another kit for our second child.

Here is the food that I have for each day. It is the same food for 3 days. It ends up being cheaper that way because you just buy in bulk and separate between family members.

This is what our daily food looked like before:

Not as appealing as the photo above right?!?

Here is a list of what I put in our daily food kits: (just remember this is each day, not 3 days total)

-Pop Tarts
-Chef Boyardee Ravioli, or other pack. I bought the larger ones for Nate and I.
-2 Fruit snacks per day
-Fruit cup
-Raisins (one per day, plus I added one extra)
-Nature Valley Granola Bar
-2 Quacker Granola Bars
-3 Crystal Light powder sticks (individual packets)
-Gum (i just put in one pack for the 3 days)
-Oatmeal packet for something extra or different
-Nature Valley Trail Mix bar

AND, it all fits nicely in a gallon ziplock bag. So, one bag for each day!

I hope this helps anyone out there that is having a hard time with food for their 72 hour kit like I did. I'm pretty happy with the food in our kits finally. It's only taken me a few years.

Don't forget to check out Five Little Chefs

No comments: