Recently I was asked how I came up with dinners 7 days a week. This question inspired me to write a little bit about how I do this. Don't get me wrong, I would love to not worry about cooking dinner and go out. There are a couple reasons I shy away from going out to eat all the time. (1) The cost adds up quickly. (2) I don't know what is in the food that I am eating when I am at a restaurant. When I cook I know what is going in the food that I am going to eat. This is information I like to know, not only for my Type 1 Diabetes, but also for my family. (3) I like to stay home and have family conversations where I don't feel like I have to yell.
This is a picture of one of our dinners this week. It was a last minute dinner idea. It is Homemade Macaroni and Cheese, bacon brussel sprouts, and pineapple.
I like to participate in Bountiful Baskets every Saturday. I don't make my dinner menu/ideas until Sunday night or Monday morning. This is when I know what produce I have, and what needs to be used that week in my meals. It has been a great way for me to ensure we are getting fruit and vegetables each day. I also like how we get items that I usually wouldn't buy at the grocery store. Below you will see my menu ideas for this week. Around the outside are additional items that I need to use throughout the week. I always have chicken, salmon, and shrimp in my freezer. I like to keep pasta, rice, and potatoes in the pantry as side dishes when needed. Some dinners are a huge hit!! Others are "re-runs". Some are "alright". And a few end up being "don't make again". It happens and I take note of the ones to never make again.
What I do is go through and take a mental note of what food we have in the house, what needs to be eaten this week, and what have haven't had for a while. After this I write down ideas that I have for dinner, and go through my cookbooks to find others. I like to come up with 5 or 6 meals. You will see above that I have written "potatoes", and "sweet potatoes". Sometimes I forget that I have both types and therefore my sweet potatoes go bad. Whenever I cook one of the meals I cross it off. I had more items around the outside of the plate, but have since erased them because we have eaten them. I have tried many different ways to plan my weekly meals. This seems to be working the best. It is giving me flexibility with my meals according to what I get each week in Bountiful Baskets.
If I remember, I will try to take a picture, and post it, every week, of the ideas for dinner that I will be using. If you have any recipes that I should try please let me know!! I am always interested in some new recipes!!! (So is my husband!)
Don't forget to check out more recipes here: Five Little Chefs!!
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You have great ideas, Tiffany. I end up throwing so much food away because I'm not very good at keeping track of what food I've got that needs to be used. Is that just a regular plate you write on with a dry erase marker? Thanks for sharing! :)
could I get the info for Bountiful baskets down here? I did it few times up in Layton and really liked it.
If you like curry I have a great curry chicken and sweet potato recipe. Let me know. I like to cook, but seem to be in a funk right now! I think it's all the projects we have going on around our house/yard.
I love that idea of putting the items you need to use around the side of your plate so you can make sure to use them. That is my biggest problem - forgetting that I have a certain vegetable in the bottom of my veggie drawer in the fridge and letting it go bad before I get a chance to use it. I'm pretty good at making a weekly menu and sticking to it (or at least to the meals and switching them to certain days if I don't want what I had planned that day), but I need to be better at using all my fruits and veggies in particular. And you are a fancy chef - that last-minute mac and cheese with bacon brussels sprouts? Wow.
Sarah - Every other week I go to a site on SoDa Row around 8:15 a.m. The other weeks I go to a site close by there, Early Light Academy, at 7:30 a.m. I like the earlier times so I can get my day going. Just go onto the Bountiful Baskets website.
Lyndsey - I use a dry erase marker on a white plate. It has been a great addition to my kitchen. :-)
Post a Comment